29 September 2011

Nesting Syndrome

At 34 weeks pregnant and everything proceeding as normal, it would be only natural that I have started "nesting".  This, mothers around me tell me, is typical at this stage. I'm not working anymore but I have to find something to fill the days otherwise I may lose my mind from boredom alone.  So, I decided to start on a few projects.  One was putting the crib together. I couldn't wait to get it set up and put the pretty bedding in there and picture a little one sleeping inside it. As usual, I thought I could do it myself until I about pinched off my finger trying to hold up one end while screwing on another. In the end, good old mom had to help out.

I thought I would share with you the process of my main project though - because I'm rather proud of it and because it may be helpful for any of you that might be interested in beginning a project like this of your own.

I decided I would distress an old dresser rather than re-stain it to the original look or buy a cheap, new piece of furniture from IKEA. It's a technique I had seen done a few times but never tried on my own so I was a little scared I'd ruin my dad's old dresser for good attempting it but, through the help of my very handy Aunt Kathy, I think I'm on the right track with this.




First, here is what I started out with. Solid maple. I had to use a palm sander to sand off the varnish which was really rather relaxing. A, hitting a punching bag kind of relaxing. When distressing wood, some people like to really make the piece appear old and well, stressed, but that wasn't really the look I was going for. So instead of using extra harsh sandpaper, chains or screw drivers to add extra character, I simply used 150 grade sandpaper on the palm sander and gave it a quick sanding.




Once that was done, it was time to prime. This was the only part of the process that I couldn't participate in since I was using an oil based primer and that can cause brain damage in unborn babies. So, I let my brother in law do it. You're going to want to use the oil based primer so that it properly covers up the varnish on the wood.

Next came the fun part! I had decided to do a vintage color combination that I am kind of obsessed with at the moment. I picked up a gold metallic paint by Martha Stewart. It required two coats and I loved the color so much as it was that I almost didn't want to finish the technique and just leave it gold. The paint man at Home Depot told me that it was a perfect choice for this type of furniture because it wears really well. Since I am going to be doubling this dresser as a changing table, this is good. It certainly will be getting a lot of use over the next couple of years! As a side note: you will need to purchase a special type of roller for the metallic paint. It cost me around 7 dollars on top of the 19 I paid for the quart of paint (of which I used about half - looks like I have enough for another project!!).


The final painting part of the process was to put the white overlay on top. This too, required two coats as the gold bled through more than I had expected. I tried to use a different type of roller that was recommended for this coat but it was going on streaky and I just didn't like the look so I opted for a nice brush instead. There is one more piece to the technique but I haven't gotten to that yet. That is my project for tonight! After the paint from the last coat has dried to the touch but hasn't fully cured (this can take several days), I will be sanding off some of that top coat so that the gold underneath will show through.

The project itself has taken me a few weeks. Once you wait a day or 2 for every layer to dry (and several for the primer itself to dry as that takes longer) it takes longer than you think (kind of like waiting 16-18 weeks to find out if you're having a boy or girl). But, since I have nothing but time and plenty to worry my mind about, having the distraction was nice. I remember growing up how my dad would always cut the lawn or chop wood when he was frustrated or stressed out about things and I can understand why. It really is therapeutic to work with your hands. I tried to picture putting all her cute little outfits into the drawers I had lovingly worked on for her and all the times I would dry her up from a bath and get her dressed for bed. This process for me was therapeutic in that it made me think less about all the stressful things like re-finding a doctor in the Buffalo area, getting in to a pediatrician, making sure my NYS healthcare was all in order, etc. It became more about thinking about all the lovely things about being a mom like, completing projects for her that will let her know someday that I was anticipating her coming and wanted pretty little things around my pretty little thing.

You'll have to wait a few more days for the final reveal as I will still have to wait another 6 weeks for her final reveal but....I think it will be worth it.